Thursday, April 9, 2009

women's magazines

Although I am a little ashamed to admit it - I occasionally read women's magazines. I usually buy them before a plane or train trip - and though while standing in front of the magainze rack I always think I should be picking up Macleans or the Economist, I can't seem to help but pick up a Glamour or a Marie Claire (though not Cosmo - I have my standards). For some people travel is quiet time to read and reflect without distractions - for me it's a time for my brain to go on holiday.

But tonight, when I went to pick up a magazine at the local corner shop, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Glamour. Why you ask. Because this month's cover model is none other than Miley Cyrus. And while my magazine reading standards may not be that high, they are not so low that I could bring myself to spend money on a publication that has Miley Cyrus on the cover. Now I might feel differently about this if I was 16. In fact, if I was 16, I might buy Glamour because Miley Cyrus was on the cover (Lord knows I hope not, but as far as teenagers go there is no accounting for taste). But now, as a self-respecting adult, I just couldn't do it.

So instead I bought Flare magazine with Kate Winslet on the cover. The only magazine cover in the store that was classier was Oprah magazine, which had Oprah and Michelle Obama on the cover - but as much as I should be too mature for Glamour - I don't know if I am mature enough for Oprah.

No comments:

Post a Comment