Sunday, January 25, 2009

Beckta

Last night I took Devin out for dinner to celebrate his birthday. We went to Beckta, one of Ottawa's premiere restaurants, arguably Ottawa's only premiere restaurant, or at the very least the only restaurant that has had two episodes of different TV food series made about it :)

It was fabulous. I may have been the nicest restaurant I have ever been too, possibly in terms of food, but most definitely in terms of service. Upon arrival the host took my coat (pretty standard). However, throughout the course of the meal we had our waiter (who was amazing), the man who brought around the large bread basket from which you chose the type of bread you would like, which he would then put on your bread plate. There was the man who brought around the complimentary amuse bouches before the meal and the complimentary dessert bites at the end of the meal. There was the other man who checked on how things were going. There was the waiter's constant attention to our water glasses. And this is first time I have ever had my crumbs cleared between my main course and dessert (and for the record, there were not that many crumbs).

And this was just the service. The food was amazing. The wine was fabulous. There was lobbsters and duck and steak tar tar, cornish hen, risotto, and more!

I can guarantee that in six months, after we have saved up lots of money, we will be going back there. Unless in the meantime someone wants to come to Ottawa and take us out to dinner there :)

2 comments:

  1. I have wanted to try Beckta from the minute we moved here. I'm so happy to hear that it lives up to the reputation I have built for it in my head. I wondered where you guys were going for the birthday dinner...sounds like you made the perfect choice.

    Oh, and can I tag along if someone chooses to come to Ottawa and take you out to dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it wasn't perfect, because the couple next to us talked about their meal when they were done, and concluded that while they would recommend going to dinner there, they would recommend going somewhere else after for dessert (because apparently Ottawa is full of secret dessert places), although from point of view the dessert was lovely. Not as good as the dinner, but still good.

    And when that magical day comes, of course you may come along!

    ReplyDelete